The most common personal injuries are car accident claims, especially in the state of Florida. However, they are not the only personal injuries that regularly happen in St. Petersburg and nationwide.
Motor Vehicle Accidents
On the highway, collisions between cars, trucks, and motorcycles are not uncommon and are a constant source of distress. Motor vehicle accidents can be life-threatening and can result in serious personal injuries. Here are some of the reasons accidents occur:
- Distracted driving such as texting and talking to others
- Abuse of alcohol or illicit drugs
- Road rage
- Improper lane changes
- Ignoring red lights and stop signs
- Falling asleep at the wheel
When the other driver is at fault for your accident, their insurance company should provide a settlement.
The mistakes made by doctors, nurses, and other healthcare practitioners can result in long-term consequences for their patients. While costly, medical malpractice is quite a common occurrence. Florida is among the states with the highest medical malpractice claims and payment according to the National Practitioner Data Bank. Healthcare professionals can make any of the following errors:
- Incorrect diagnosis
- Delayed diagnosis or improper follow up after diagnosis
- Anesthesia malfunctions
- Wrong prescription medicine
- Incorrect dosage of medication
- Medical tests not followed up on
- Improper care
- Wrong surgery
- Incorrect surgery location
- Surgery implements left inside the patient
Many other forms of medical malpractice can occur, and you can consult with your St. Petersburg personal injury lawyer to learn whether you have experienced a case of malpractice.
When you are on another’s property and are injured, the premises owner can be held liable for your personal injury. This is when the premises owner gave you no warning there was a hazard or was severely negligent in maintaining their property. Slip and fall accidents are the most common type of premises liability for property owners. These accidents often result in bruises, broken bones, cuts, brain trauma, back pain, and more. Premises liability injuries can include some of the following accidents:
- Falling on a slippery surface
- Tripping on uneven surfaces
- Falling through broken floorboards
- Getting harmed by exposed wiring
- Stepping on construction debris such as nails or broken glass
- Tripping on debris pile up such as leaves and garbage
There are a variety of ways you can receive a personal injury on someone else’s property. If the premises owner has no warning signs and the dangerous condition isn’t easily noticed or avoidable, your personal injury attorney can seek a settlement on your behalf.
When a dog owner doesn’t properly manage their animal or provide preventable measures to keep you safe, then you can seek the help of a personal injury lawyer to represent your case. This can happen for several reasons:
- The dog is not leashed, or the leash broke
- The gate where the dog is held was left open
- The dog escaped from the yard
- The dog attacked when you came too close
Dog bites can lead to muscle tears, broken bones, infections, and severe pain. After a dog bite, get medical help and work with personal injury attorneys to help you get a settlement.
When you purchase a product and it causes a personal injury, the manufacturer can be held liable for your damages. Product liability often occurs when the product has malfunctioned and harmed you in some way. For example:
- The product’s design, formula, or preparation resulted in injuries
- Errors in the assembly, construction, or manufacture of the product
- The product had poor instruction, warning, or labeling
- Incorrect packaging
- Misleading marketing of the product
If you experienced a personal injury because of a product or service you purchased, you should seek the help of St. Petersburg attorneys to direct you on the next steps.
In Florida, boat rides are a popular recreational activity that sometime results in personal injuries. Boat accidents leave the owner of the boat or boat charter company liable for any damages caused to personal injury victims. This can be caused by capsizing, boats colliding with one another, fires, fuel explosions, collision with fixed objects, and more. A personal injury can include any of the following:
- Slip and fall injuries on the boat
- Property damage
- Wrongful death
- Falling overboard
There are additional accidents that can occur due to a boat crash, and you can get guidance about what you can claim in a settlement with the help of a personal injury lawyer.